Mmmmm.....! This recipe is the perfect combination of savory and sweet with a little zing.
Peaches when they are in season, are such a delightful, versatile fruit. You can do so many amazing things with them! In this recipe, we make our own peach compote by cooking the fruit over the stove. You can also bake the peaches (takes a bit longer).
P.S. Save the leftover peach compote (TRUST US ON THIS)! You can use it as a jam for your morning toast or serve it alongside your eggs.
Ingredients for Peach Grilled Cheese
- 1 Medium Sized Yellow Peach (add an additional peach if you want your compote to be less sweet)
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- Dash of Nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar (reduce to 1 if you want less sweetness)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Dash of Cinnamon
- 3/4 Bar Melted Butter (add more or less depending on how thick you want your compote to be)
- 3-4 Pieces of Turkey Bacon
- Sliced Sweet Yellow Onion
- Sharp White Cheddar (use as much or as little as you'd like)
- 1 Packet Mayonnaise
1. Slice peaches as thin as possible. Add nutmeg, brown sugar, honey, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix.
2. Melt butter over medium heat. Get your pan hot!
3. Add peaches to melted butter. Cover and let cook on high heat for two minutes. Uncover, stir, turn down heat, and cook for two more minutes.
4. Cook sweet yellow onions and bacon over stove.
5. Layer on ingredients.
6. Slather some mayonnaise on top and bottom of the bread (helps get it nice and crispy).
7. Melt more butter in a pan.
8. Toast in pan on medium heat until desired crispiness is achieved.
Some Tips: Thumb Bread® is a much thicker bread than your average sliced pan loaf. If you want to quicken up the melting time, place the bottom half in microwave with a wet paper towel over it for thirty seconds. Toast it on medium heat as opposed to high heat on the stove. It will allow the cheese to melt without burning the bread. This recipe is for one sandwich, but you will have enough compote from one peach to make two! Add an additional peach to double your compote.
Psst... follow us on Instagram @thumbbread for videos of our recipes!