Falafel sandwiches are traditionally served on pita bread, but we love ours on Thumb Bread®!
The thicker bread really enhances the flavor profile and adds some structure, so the juices don't seep through and break the bottom.
Making falafel at home can seem intimidating, but if you've got a food processor or a table-top grinder (HIGHLY RECOMMEND!), it's pretty simple.
This took us about thirty minutes to grind up and prep and then another twenty minutes to air fry.
Check out the video on our TikTok and Instagram pages for a better look at this super fun recipe!
Ingredients for Falafel Sandwich On Thumb Bread®
- 1 Bag Dried Chickpeas
- White Pepper Seasoning
- Ground Coriander
- Cumin Seasoning
- Onion Powder
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Fresh Garlic (we used about six cloves)
- 1 Medium Sized White Onion
- 1 Bushel Fresh Parsley
- 1 Green Pepper
- Tzatziki (replace with tahini for dairy-free)
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
1. Soak chickpeas overnight to soften and rinse them out thoroughly.
2. Combine the dry chickpeas with parsley, white onion (make sure you slice the onion first), green pepper (sliced), and garlic. Pro Tip: Make sure your veggies are dry. This will reduce the level of 'wetness' for the finished product.
3. Grind up all the above, letting it all mix together.
4. Add in the seasoning to taste. Some people like their falafel with extra zest and salt, some people prefer it light on the salt. We used a couple of tablespoons of each seasoning to balance out the taste.
5. Mix it all up real, real good... get in there! Mix with your hands. It's the best way.
6. Form a thick pattie.
7. Spray parchment paper and pop into the air fryer. Spray the top with avocado oil if you want to keep it from drying out.
8. Air fry on each side for ten minutes. You can also bake in the oven or fry on your stove top.
9. You know it's ready when the pattie is a crispy, medium brown on the outside.
10. Layer top and bottom of Thumb Bread® with hummus. Place falafel pattie on bottom of bread and top with red onion slices, tomatoes, sauce, and feta. Add in additional toppings like cabbage slaw and pickles if you'd like or even some hot sauce if you want an extra kick!
11. Cut in half and serve.
Pro Tip: Thumb Bread® is vegan and all you have to do to make this a fully vegan sandwich is substitute the dairy products!